Skip to main content

BEFORE YOU SAY I DO, DO YOU?

Marriage is beautiful. It is a wonderful and glorious occurrence, which brings about a union of great minds and family. But, it can only be this when done with the right person for the right reasons. The reasons people get married differ, but I hope it is a right one. The "right" reasons for getting married is up to the person getting married, and who they are getting married to; so, this is none of my business. Although it is not my business, I hope the reason they get married is right to them and for them; and not reasons that they delude themselves as being right or because the society or parents believe it is the right time for them to get married.
On the other hand, the right person is a very important factor to the success or failure of any marriage. Before getting excited about becoming a Mr. or Mrs., ask yourself some very important, such as:
Are you marriable?
* Do you even have a good relationship with yourself? If yes, how is it going? Is a healthy or an unhealthy relationship?
* Are you interested in a relationship with a fellow human? 
* If you weren't you, can you tolerate a person of your nature?
* Jokes apart, can you pray for a friend or even an enemy to marry someone like you? 
* Can you live with yourself, not to talk of another person living with you?
* Are you humane enough to be in a relationship?
* Are you psychologically ready to get married?
* Are you in a good physical state to be in an advanced relationship called marriage?
* Financially,  do you think you and marriage are compatible?
* Emotionally, are you ready for marriage?
* Do you think the state of your social life is good enough for marriage?
* Truthfully, do you like yourself?
* Ask yourself, how deep are your trust issues?
* Just imagine that when people get married taking your husband's name wasn't a par of the deal (for example: when Miss A gets married she still remains Miss A), do you still want to get married?
Marriage is beyond a change of name. It is more than attending your in-laws' party; and it is way more than having children. One of the reasons some people get married is to have children, but:
* Are you an adult or a child?
* As a child or an adult, on a scale of 1 to 10, how responsible and matured are you?
* Are you really interested in having children?
* Do you think you have what it takes to take care of a child? (Please don't give that when we get there we will find out answer. A child requires a lot).
* I hope you are not irritated by little children and their tantrums.
* If you were a child, would you want yourself as a parent?
* Do you have the patience to understand and care for a child?
* Do you know as a parent, your actions and inactions can scar a child for life?
* Were you scarred by your parents? Have your childhood scars fully healed?
* Are you done dealing with your childhood problems?
* Do you know you are a child's first example of what a male and female looks and behaves like?
* Are you financially capable to have children?
* Do you know that a child requires more than money and love? They require a lot of things like your time, attention, tutelage, care, amongst other things.
So, please before you say I do, or even plan on proposing to someone, try very hard to work on yourself. As stated earlier, do not let the excitement of marriage stop you from asking and answering important questions about yourself. Once you truthfully, ask and answer a large part of these questions, you will know whether you are going to say, "I do" or "I don't". 
It is also important to know that saying, "I don't" is not a crime. If you really know that you are not ready for marriage, let your partner know. Don't force it. Apart from self-examination, you also have to ask your partner important questions regarding your proposed future together. The self and partner examination is very important in the building and sustaining of any type of relationship.



Photo credits:
Photo by Freddy G on Unsplash
Photo by Kaysha on Unsplash
Photo by Vitor Pinto on Unsplash
Photo by Rendy Novantino on Unsplash
Photo by Senjuti Kundu on Unsplash
Photo by Sharath Kumar Hari on Unsplash
Photo by Andre Adjahoe on Unsplash 
Photo by Shea Ronda on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I AM NOT...

I am not your friend. I am not your age mate. I am not your family member. I am not your church member. I am not your girlfriend/boyfriend. I am not feminine/masculine. I am not childish. I am not on your level. I am not your helper. I am not your enemy. I am not a fake person. I am not a deceitful person. I am not a mean person. I am not a tactless person. I am not a nice person. Why do we have to state a fact that we say is obvious? Why do we waste our time talking about what we are not when we can invest our quality time in talking about what and who we truly are? (not in a proud manner) What do we expect these statements to do? Why do we believe that this “I am not” statement is necessary for our lives? Why don’t we like to talk about ourselves and others in a positive light? This “I am not” culture has affected some people to the extent that, in cases where they are to describe themselves, they will tell you one thousand (1,000) things they are not, but cannot tell yo

SOMETIMES A BREAKUP ISN'T BAD...

You know I like you, I know you like me, They know we like each other. Our parents have given their consent. But, we are not compatible, So, why are we still together? Why did you propose to me? Why did I accept your proposal? Why have we fixed a wedding date? Why are we getting married? Why have we gotten married? Two years later, why are we still married? Why did we have kids? How de we have two (2) kids? Should we have brought kids into this? And now, 10 years later, why are we just breaking up? How did we last this long? Should we have done this earlier? How did we come so far? Why did we ever start? Now, I don’t like you. You don’t like me. We both hate each other. Our parents can’t stand each other. We really shouldn’t have started this. Now, our children will be the ones to suffer for this. Photo credit: Google.com Octavio Fossatti on Unsplash.com Dreamstime.com

Being INEM...

Today is dedicated to my friend, Inem. You see Inem is this guy that dislikes my taste in music and doesn't appreciate my food combination, but I forgive him because he doesn't know what he is missing. This is by the way, so, the reason I am writing this is to appreciate Inem, my dear friend. Before I appreciate Inem, let me tell you how we met. I met Inem (please forgive me, but I like the sound of his name, so I will write it many times, and also so he can know this is about him) at film school. I have no idea how we started talking, but I am sure he threw a jab my way, and I threw a jab back. We started talking, but took a mini-break, as Mr Inem thought I was snubbing him. We picked up our conversation and it wasn't bad. I guess he must have forgiven me (what a nice fellow). Anyways, Inem and I spoke more after film school. How that happened, I have never known, but meeting him and a few unnamed others is a blessing I gained from film school. Since then, we h